Originally a six story building housing a theater, Masonic Lodge and offices, this Richardsonian Romanesque Revival brownstone building was designed by Charles McMillen and E.S. Stebbins in 1889. The top three stories were removed in the early 1940’s when G.G. Hartley realized that they blocked the view of the new 3,000 light tower on the remodeled Norshor Theater. He owned both buildings. Ornately carved faces and scrollwork in brownstone can be found on the first story. Duluth’s first public library opened on the second floor in 1889.