Lyceum Theater, 423-431 West Superior Street.
The Lyceum Theater was called “the finest place of amusement in the Northwest.” Traphagen and Fitzpatrick designed the brick and brownstone structure with four massive corner towers and arched windows. The triple arched entrance had bronze doors and was surrounded by carved brownstone with theatrical masques, lions, and floral motifs. A.M. Miller, a Duluth lumberman, financed the Lyceum which opened in 1892, and operas, plays, and vaudeville performed here until 1921, when it became a movie house. It was demolished in 1966, but the theatrical masques were saved to grace the entrance to the Depot Theatre, and the stone lions stand guard at the Duluth Zoo.
From Images of America: Duluth Minnesota
by Sheldon T. Aubut and Maryanne C. Norton